Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Dead Fairy interviews Barry Gifford

Example
After my interview with B-movie star Trent Haaga I flew back to Fairyland because my son Clark S. Fairy texted me this cryptic message, “Barry G is on the airship! Help!”
When I opened a portal and flew back to Fairyland Clark flew up to me immediately and pointed to the sky. It was then that I saw the evil Timefairy’s gray airship, and dangling below it, attached by a noose around his neck, was the writer Barry Gifford. Mr. Gifford is the author of such sexy books as “Perdita Durango” and “Wild At Heart” and I took this opportunity to ask him some questions.

To start things off I want to know what you thought of Sailor’s portrayal in the “Wild At Heart” film, I mean why do you think David Lynch felt the need to make him so violent and unstable when he was not like that in the books? (As I recall he only killed Bob Ray Lemon by accident.)

LYNCH DID MAKE SAILOR MORE VIOLENT AND UNSTABLE THAN HE IS IN THE BOOKS BUT HE RETAINED THE TENDERNESS BETWEEN SAILOR AND LULA, WHICH IS THE IMPORTANT PART.

I once read an interview with Stephen King where he said he was disgusted with the “state of anorexia” that literature was in. Do you feel there is any merit to this statement?


I AM SORRY THAT STEPHEN KING IS DISGUSTED WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF
LITERATURE. IT MAKES ME WONDER WHAT STATE HE IS IN AND WHAT HE IS DOING TALKING ABOUT LITERATURE AT ALL.



How do you feel about all the film remakes in the last few years such as Gus Van Sant’s “Psycho” and Denzel Washington’s “The Manchurian Candidate”. Do you see this practice as disrespectful to the original artists or is it more of a loving gesture to keep these stories alive?


GOOD MOVIES JUST LIKE GOOD SONGS SHOULD NEVER BE RE-MADE.

When you first get an idea for a novel what sort of preparations do you make as far as outlines or act structures?


I MAKE NO OUTLINES FOR NOVELS. I WRITE TO AN IMAGE, A PICTURE IN MY HEAD AND ALLOW THE CHARACTERS TO TALK THEMSELVES IN AND OUT OF SITUATIONS.

It has been said that one of the greatest parts of being a writer is that you can learn directly from your idols just by picking up one of their books. Who would you consider your first literary idol?


MY FIRST LITERARY MODEL--NOT IDOL--WAS JACK LONDON. MY SECOND WAS AND IS JOSEPH CONRAD.


Rebecca Schaeffer, the young star of a popular 80’s sitcom “My Sister Sam”, was murdered by her obsessed fan Robert Bardo in 1989 while getting ready to audition for the role of Michael Corleone’s daughter in “The Godfather 3”. If you were going to write a novel based on this story who’s point of view would you choose?

I WOULD WRITE THIS STORY FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF REBECCA'S SCHAEFFER'S FATHER.


It was at this point that Mr. Gifford began to choke and I realized that the Timefairy’s airship was flying higher to tighten the noose. I sprinkled fairy dust until it cut through the rope and caught Mr. Gifford in my little fairy arms.
Although the interview was cut short because Mr. Gifford’s larynx had been torn he returned home unharmed and the Timefairy was foiled once again. I found this note taped to my wings:
YOU MUST HAVE STRONG LITTLE FAIRY ARMS.
Example

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home